After every mass shooting, spike in suicides, climb in loneliness etcetera, there is a call for a new focus on mental health. However, I see little actual progress in that direction.
We say that we should do something about it. However, we rarely see any movement.
So, what should we do? Here are my simple thoughts:
- First, we must destigmatize getting help from professionals. That is a task for the culture. We, as leaders within the culture, must step up and get help when it may be beneficial. Then, be open about it to provide an example for those in your life.
- Next, we must practice and teach mental hygiene to others. Simple things like:
- Talking about our feelings
- Stay physically active for the sake of your mental and physical health
- Eat a nutritious diet
- Drink sensibly in moderation and not to deal with mental health issues
- Keep in touch with friends and family proactively to prevent loneliness
- Ask for help from your support network
- Take a break
- Discover and use your signature strengths
- Accept who you are
- Care for others
- Practice mindfulness
- Finally, check in on one another proactively and encourage those in struggle to get help.
Join me in following these simple steps. Add any that I may have missed. We can make the type of cultural shift that causes real change with the ripples that we create.
Just my opinion. What do you think? Let me know in the comments.
If you find value in this article, please share it with others that may also find value. Like, comment and follow Sapiens Society below, on Facebook and on Twitter.
#MentalHealth #MentalHygiene #SelfCare #Meditate #Exercise #Mindfulness