If you are going to be in a meeting, decide to make it worth your while. It is the ultimate demonstration of respect to your colleagues when you take your attendance seriously.
To do list for every meeting:
Start by reading the agenda thoroughly. If one is not provided, solicit one from the organizer.
- Prepare ahead of time, consider your position on each topic, do research and gather evidence, info, photos, information, reports, materials etc.
- Complete all of your action items thoroughly on or before the due date.
- Ask the organizer, facilitator, leader any questions that you have ahead of the meeting.
- In other words, be prepared in any way that you can imagine.
Regarding meeting invitations, reply as soon as you receive the request, using the following guidelines:
- Reply accept / yes if you believe that you can attend.
- Reply decline / no if you will not be attending.
- Reply- tentative / maybe if you are not certain that you will not be attending. However, you should never let a meeting start with your status as tentative / maybe. As soon as you know whether you will be attending or not; change your response.
At the meeting:
- Exhibit active listening
- Push yourself to participate
- Follow the meeting norms for the group / organization
- Never leave the meeting with a hidden agenda. Be open with your thoughts, opinions and concerns.
How could we deal with a boring meeting? Speak out courageously. Tell the meeting facilitator, suggest a solution and suggest that the group brainstorm solutions. The wrong answer is to continue attending boring meetings.
Just my opinion. What do you think? Let me know in the comments.
If you find value in this article, please share it with others that may also find value. Like, comment and follow Sapiens Society below, on Facebook and on Twitter.
#EffectiveMeetings #CrappyMeetings #BusinessMeetings #Meetings
One thought on “Crappy Meetings? Part 4- Be a Dream Meeting Attendee”